Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Surgery

We decided to go ahead with both surgeries. I took her in this morning around 7:30, and she was done by 1:00.

The vet took another x-ray of bladder, which showed the stones had spread out, which confirmed that the previous x-ray was a collection of small stones congregated in one spot. Besides the stones in her bladder, she had an area of inflamed and irritated tissue, blood clots, and thickened tissue. The vet collected cells from the area for a biopsy to rule out any cancer, but is optimistic it is not. She is sending the stones for analysis to the University of Minnesota, since they offer free analysis. I only have to pay shipping and handling, but it will take 3 weeks. She is confident that the stones are the calcium oxalate type anyway. A quicker analysis would cost $120. After the analysis we will talk about her diet, but for now she suggested I increase her water intake and feed canned food, which I have already started to do.

As for the tumor on the toe, she took off the tumor and only one toe. She also took off that nasty mole on the same foot that she is always licking. She said she couldn't leave it there in good conscience. So I guess that was a freebie. I was actually thinking about asking her to take that off anyway, but didn't want to spend more money. She'll have a padded bandage on her foot for a few days. I'll have to bring her back in on Saturday morning to get the bandages changed.

She'll have to take an antibiotic for a week, and Tramadol for pain. She also wants her to continue taking Piroxicam. The vet is also writing a prescription for a pain patch that she may or may not need that I can get filled at Giant.

She is resting at the vet's office now on morphine and will stay overnight. The vet will call me in the morning with an update and let me know when I can pick her up.

No comments: